Tuesday, October 20, 2009

No God Twitter Rage - Responses to Twits

Let's start at the top - the Twitter that inspired the entire trend:

@revrunwisdom: "Know God... Know Peace. No God.. No Peace!"

I'll admit it makes for a pithy bumper sticker, but as a logical statement... well... not so much.

The number of criminals in the prison system that proclaimed belief in some type of deity before they were incarcerated at the very least suggests that knowing God isn't synonymous with knowing peace. While believers may protest that those criminals didn't REALLY know God, the existence of peaceful and largely Atheistic countries and communities also suggests that peace is quite obtainable without belief in God.

I'm an Atheist. I've no god. I also have plenty of peace. Internal peace, peace of mind, peace in attitude, and peace in life.



@ayomac Ya'll sayin there's no god,hope u tell ur kids that chrismas & easter are cancelled.good luck w/ that.

Interestingly enough, it is possible to celebrate both Easter and Christmas in secular ways.

In fact, both holidays have "pagan" roots and were celebrated long before Christianity took hold. Easter was originally a fertility festival held in the spring, which explains all those eggs and bunnies - eggs, appearing "dead" but containing life, were symbolic of the earth being "reborn" in the Spring and nothing says fertility quite like rabbits. Christmas got it's start as the winter solstice during which evergreen trees, symbolic of survival through the harsh winter, were decorated with gold and silver balls which represented the gods of the sun and moon.

Regardless of it's religious orientation, whether modern day or ancient, a decent argument could also be made that the American celebrations of Easter and Christmas are largely secular these days anyway. Ask 10 random children what comes to mind when they think of Easter and Christmas and the vast majority will reply with some version of "Candy and Presents", not Jesus.

Personally, as both Easter and Christmas belonged to others long before they belonged to Christianity, I have no more problem celebrating them than I do celebrating Fridays. (A multi-translational form of the Latin "dies Veneris" or "Day of Venus".)



@adrianafasano TO EVERYONE FUK FACE THAT IS TWEETING ABOUT "NO GOD" ENJOY YOUR TIME IN HELL YOU PIECES OF SHITS!

Well, now. Someone forgot to put on their "WWJD" bracelet this morning.

I chose this Tweet not because it represents the majority of believers, I don't believe it does, but because it's so harshly symbolic of a common tactic used in conversion attempts against Atheists - if the expressed joy of belief doesn't sway us, perhaps the fear of hell will.

Let's be clear - not only do Atheists lack belief in gods, we also lack belief in the domains of gods. We don't believe in heaven, nor do we believe in hell. Threatening me with eternal damnation is, aside from Not Nice, as unlikely to turn me toward belief in Jesus as my threatening you with Hades is to turn you toward belief in Thor. The threat only works if you believe to begin with... which makes the threat unnecessary.


@marbev007 No one can ever convince me there is no God. He is so evident in all of creation! :)

While this may seem like a prime invitation for me to rehash all of the reasons I don't find God evident in all creation, I chose this tweet for another reason entirely:

I've never personally encountered an Atheist missionary. To my knowledge, there isn't an organized Atheist push to convince people that their gods don't exist. We really don't care if you believe. Really. We do, of course, care when specific laws are passed to bring society in line with a particular religious belief or when ostracizing non-believers is legitimized by authority or innocent children are denied medical attention, etc... but beyond that, your faith is of no concern to us. Worship it up.


@BobBurneyLive The top trend today is No God. Help people KNOW God by donating to the Bible League http://bit.ly/1DWKU1

In this tweet, it's a Christian that advances the notion that knowledge of the Bible cures Atheism, but Christianity isn't the only faith system that falls victim to the assumption that Atheists haven't been exposed to their Holy Book.

Donating to the Bible League won't help me know the Christian God - I already own five of the things, one of which is written in Masoretic Hebrew, Greek, and Aramaic. I've read it, in English, cover to cover three times, and in sections undoubtedly many more times over. I struggled through the Hebrew once, though I'll readily admit I dropped the notion of ever pushing through the Greek and Aramaic before I'd even finished the Tanakh. I've also read the Book of Mormon, and bits of both the Bhava Ghita and the Koran. While the extent of my experience with religious texts may be a tad unique, most Atheists I've encountered have more than a passing knowledge of the Holy Book most prominent in their culture.


@imjustNasha The concept of NO GOD would make life not worth living.

For those that feel a life without belief in god would not be worth living, I sincerely hope your faith is strong and that you'll never lose it. I mean that, there's no punch line coming.

I would like to state, however, that the vast majority of Atheists find their lives quite worth living. Some have even stated that their lives became even more precious, more worth living, when they lost their faith. Personally, I love my life. Every moment of it, even the painful ones, are worthy of living. Every single one.


@MrsBunnieW No God? Then what are u living 4?!?!?.....honestly worst trending topic ever!!!

In the same vein as the last one, but different enough that I think it deserves its own response.

What am I living for? For the excitement of learning, for the love of my family, for the people I've met and will meet in the future, for the difference I make, for the joy of discovery, for the pleasure of laughter, for the challenge of creation, for the thrill of expectation... for a million things I've already known, and a million more yet to come.

What are you living for? The day that you die? I sincerely hope that's not the case.


@cmagrum001 TT today is "No God." Takes more faith to believe everything around us is the product of mere chance, then to believe IN God.

No one, not even Atheists, believe that "everything around us is the product of mere chance". The laws of physics may be difficult to comprehend, but difficulty in understanding does not equate to "chance".


@benjsigmon I'm a Christian because it takes less faith than being an atheist. #thereisagod #No God

Same vein as the last one, but without the distracting "mere chance". It takes no faith to be an Atheist. None.

No, really. Not even a little bit. You're not required to understand evolution, or the Big Bang, or string theory, or really anything at all. You can answer "I have no flipping idea" to every question about existence as a whole and still be an Atheist. The only requirement to Atheism, the only one is that you lack faith in gods.

No faith required. In fact, it's a bit of a deterrent.


@*a bazillion different tweeps* Psalm 14:1 The fool has said in his heart, "There is no God" They are corrupt. They have done abominable works. There is none who does good.

This one was tweeted by so many people, either in part or as a whole, that I didn't feel right ascribing it to anyone in particular - especially as it's simply a quote. There are two points I'd like to make regarding this verse:

1 - Quoting a verse from the Bible to an Atheist, is like quoting a verse from the Koran to a Christian. Intrinsically, it's meaningless and the intent behind quoting this particular verse is petty. You ought to be able to feel good about your faith without pointing out how insultingly your faith defines me.

2 - For "They are corrupt. They have done abominable works. There is none who does good." to be a true statement, one either has to ignore the vast number of beneficial acts done by Atheists, or one has to redefine "good" to mean "a beneficial act done by a theist". We give blood, we feed and clothe the homeless, we helped rebuild after Katrina, we were even the first group to reach the $1 million dollar mark on the Kiva charity grant site. Should you choose to ignore those acts, or redefine what constitutes a good work, so be it. We'll keep it up anyway, and the world will be better for it.


@ThebookONE If there is no God, why do people talk about him so much?

Ah... another variation of "If there were no God, there would be no Atheists". I can't speak for others, of course, by I talk about God so much because believers exist and they're often not content to let me live my life without paying respect to their deity. Most often this manifests in mundane ways, like when missionaries wake me up in an attempt to save the soul I don't believe I have, but occasionally this manifests in horrible ways... like when ardent believers kill thousands by ramming planes into buildings.

If I lived in a world, or at least in a country, where my children weren't being handed leaflets at town fairs threatening them with eternal torture, where I wasn't looked down upon for not bowing my head in prayer, where laws were based in logic rather than in dogma, where churches were the domain of faith and schools were the domain of fact, etc... I wouldn't talk about Jesus and Allah any more than I talk about Thor and Odin.


@JaymEsch Those who feel there's No God, thus no Afterlife, what stops you from doing your dark desires? Rape, murder, etc.? You die, nothing exists.

Wow. Um... first of all, the rape and murder thing? I don't have those "dark desires". Really. Never in my life have I seriously desired to rape or murder anyone - not even when my own life was being threatened. It's been said before but it bares repeating - if you do have those kind of desires and your belief in God is the only thing keeping you from entertaining them, by all means believe. Believe with every ounce of effort contained in your seriously disturbed mind.

For the rest of us, we behave in a civil manner because we're social creatures - we've depended on society for our survival for millenia. Rapists and murderers aren't welcomed in most societies because they can't be trusted and no one wants to live in close quarters with someone that can't be trusted. Ask any inmate in a high-security prison.


@Mandisam No God? Seriously twitter. take that down.

Several people tweeted some version of this as well, some even suggesting a Twitter boycott until No God disappeared off the Trending Topics list.

To this I offer no refutation, only an honest question - why? Why does this expression of opinion bother you so much? I've seen various proclamations of faith in the Trending Topics list and yet found no indication of Atheists organizing a boycott. I don't protest the ridiculously insulting signs our local church posts on their marquee. I don't take my ball and go home when they sing "God Bless America" at the stadium.

Is your faith so fragile, your God so fragile, that the very notion of unbelief is challenging?


@Mugunga Just because God doesn't intervene every little bad thing that happens to you doesn't mean there is no god.

Excellent point, Mugunga. (As well as evidence against the notion that Atheists are immune to fallacies of their own.)

That life isn't one big pony-ride in no way invalidates the possible existence of a god. Perhaps an eternal god, offering its followers eternal life, wouldn't be terribly concerned with the flickering of an instant our life represents within the span of eternal time. Or maybe experiencing hardship during life has some unknown benefit to believers.

Offering evidence against existence is a loosing game; we've said it a billion times - you can't prove a negative. Suffering stands only as evidence to the existence of suffering - just as trees stand only as evidence to the existence of trees. Furthermore, individuals who are mad at gods for the bad things that happen in life aren't Atheists, they're disgruntled Theists - you simply can't be mad at something unless you believe it exists.


@LisaAntoniaa No God is a trending topic? FYI There is a God, Their is a heaven & Their is a hell. Jesus Christ is real no matter what you say.

I chose this tweet for three reasons:

1 - Because I hear variations of it so often, all of them mystifying. For anyone that considers "because I say so" a measure of proof, please consider the following "FYI There is a God. There is a Hades, and there is a Valhalla. Odin is real no matter what you say." Swayed? Neither am I.

2 - The Trending Topic "No God" didn't specify a deity yet somehow it became a flame war between Atheists and Christians. Your god isn't the only god, and Atheists lack belief in ALL of them... yet 99% of the angry responses came from offended Christians. I was instantly reminded of an only child suddenly confronted with a new sibling. Thank you for reminding me why Atheists should be upfront about their lack of belief.

3 - There: a location or position - "I agree with you there." or "I don't enjoy eating there." Their: a possessive case of they - "Their house is the blue one." or "That is their basket." They're: a contraction of 'they are' - "They're both so happy." or "They're really annoyed by grammatical errors."

(In all seriousness, the errors in this Trending Topic made my head spin. If you're going to attempt a rational debate, pay attention to your spelling and grammar - ESPECIALLY if you're busy insinuating that other people are idiots.)


@MattWBP The aggressive statement of opinion as the factual answer to an unknowable equation is not an intellectual way of thinking. (No God)

Wow! Excellent statement! I've no refutation - I just wanted to highlight this tweet for the clarity it brings to both sides of the argument. Neither "God is real!" nor "There is no God!" can be shown as factual statements - both are expressions of opinion and ought logically to be stated as such.

I have no belief in gods. My lack of belief in gods stems from the complete lack of objective evidence for their existence. While I cannot state with certainty that no gods exist, I can state that I've no rational reason to believe they do.


@turntoo ...Actually, atheism is a theism, as it requires a belief that there is no God.

This is a common misconception. Atheism simply means "without Theism". To be considered an Atheist one must simply lack belief in gods, not espouse a belief that gods absolutely do not exist. Most Atheists, even those loudly denounced as "new Atheists", are more than happy to explain that they would believe in gods if given sufficient evidence of their existence.


@aaronjpalmer We r like an ant trying 2 understand the internet n our effort 2 understand God. So is there No God just cause we cant understand him?

Do you lack belief in Odin because you don't understand him, or because you have no objective evidence for his existence? No one lacks faith in gods because they don't understand them. Beside which, the Christian god really isn't any more difficult to understand than any other god.


@soulrebelJ I'm glad No God is a TT. After the dust settles, we can reflect on how we dealt with each other during the debate. #peace

Indeed, soulrebelJ. Indeed. *smiles*

13 comments:

John Hummel said...

"@ayomac Ya'll sayin there's no god,hope u tell ur kids that chrismas & easter are cancelled.good luck w/ that."

I hope @ayomac doesn't celebrate Halloween unless they believe in ghosts, goblins, and godzilla either.

It's ridiculous that unless you believe all of the religious beliefs of a holiday you can't celebrate it.

Cary said...

Great post, and that last tweet was perfect to end on.

Thanks!
@qaphsiel

Nathan said...

Very good blog post, enjoyed reading it very much.

Frances said...

I checked in on this debate earlier this afternoon. And checked again this evening. Did you notice that "No God" in trending topics has turned into "Know God" and when you click on "Know God" it says at the top "Know God OR No God." Yep, they took it down. Wussies. Thanks for this post. Interesting reading.

JCW said...

The existence of suffering doesn't say anything to me about the existence of gods, but it sure calls their purported goodness into question.

Also, the new sibling thing -- that's spot on. I think that every time the stupid "Happy Holidays" debate rears its ugly head at Christmas.

Ryan said...

Excellent post! From: A dude who doesn't believe in any gods and doesn't care what you classify him as.

Dave Field said...

I really enjoyed this post - your lack of belief is elegantly and simply stated. Would that I could marshall my argument in a similar way. As of last night, you've a new follower on Twitter. Peace.

Unknown said...

Excellent post! Yet another great summary of the No god saga with clear and concise rebuttals. Well done!

Unknown said...

Excellent post. I appreciate your slow, methodical, logical approach to the subject. I will be sharing this with others.

Anonymous said...

Yup - you're my new hero. If I had to point to how I non-believe, I will now point to this blog post and tell folks "what she said". My experiences mirror yours pretty closely. Life DOES become more precious when you realize it's the only one you've got, and that it's not some test you take to see where you get assigned to afterwards.

Live every day. It's the most precious thing you have.

Big hugs,

Paul C

Tanya Higgins said...

I just wanted to take a moment to thank everyone for their responses - it really means a lot to know you took the time to comment. I should have commented before... but sometimes I suck like that. *blush*

@John Hummel - I immediately conjured a cult of Godzilla believers in the depths of my brain. Halloween is their holy day and they all dress up, hold hands, and sing the song those tiny native dancers sang to summon Mothra.

@Cary - I wonder every once in a while if anyone actually DID stop to look back on how they behaved during the debate. I doubt it pinged the thought richter scale.

@Nathan, Mike Thomas, Luis, and Erez - Thanks. Really. I'm glad to hear you liked the post, it's good to know I'm being clear.

@Frances Berry - Yeah... I was annoyed, but I think it's possible they were simply trying to restore the original intent of the trend. Hard to say.

@Princess Rockstar Scientist - Very true. I'm working up an article now that more specifically defines my disbelief and I touch on the "good god/bad world" issue a bit. While I generally lack belief in "fuzzy" gods, ones without specific definition, I actively disbelieve in well defined gods. Making the article readable is proving difficult. *laughs*

@Ryan - I pick my classifications according to mood and location. I'll even tone it down to "Agnostic" on occasion if I just want to be left alone. More often than not, however, I go with "Bisexual, Polyamorous, Liberal, New Atheist". People don't know where to start being mad at me - it's fun to watch their prejudice spin. *grins*

@Dave Field - As I'm sure you know by now, my Twitter is mostly filled with masturbation references and nonsense. I apologize. ;)

@Flawedprefect - WooHoo! I'm a hero! I'll be doing a video shortly covering common fallacies regarding Atheism. If you can think of anything I didn't cover here (and this goes for everyone) please let me know!


T

Anonymous said...

Hey T - You might have mentioned it, but the biggest glaring fallacy regarding Atheists I see all the time is that we 100% deny the existence of (a) God(s). The truth is we see no good evidence that a deity exists, and therefore, see no need to worship one. If that's close to your definition, happy days.

Dave Field said...

"@Dave Field - As I'm sure you know by now, my Twitter is mostly filled with masturbation references and nonsense. I apologize. ;)"

Hehehehe... yeah, it is, isn't it?

Cool.