I came out of the Poly closet to my Mother this past Saturday.
My partner and I have been polyamorous for just over a year and until now we've kept this information from our families. Why hide it? Damn good question. We hid it for the same reason some homosexuals hide their orientation from their parents - a foreboding sense of "what if". With our commitment ceremony coming up in June however, and invitations having already been extended to our secondary partners and a couple of playmates, "coming out" to our families more sooner than later seemed prudent.
It didn't pass by me without notice that as I was preparing to explain my non-traditional relationship to my Mother, thousands of people across the country were protesting for the right to legitimize theirs.
What the fuck, "traditional" America? Why are you all so interested in who we fuck? Who we love? Who we partner with? What kind of supportive, loving families we choose to form in order to raise our children? What are we being protected from? Stable relationships? Lives filled with love and support? Intimate, even spiritual, bonds? When are you all going to grow up and realize that our relationships don't threaten society? That the only threat to your marriages are you and your spouse?
Love solidifies bonds. It breeds loyalty. It nurtures compassion. It supports communities. It teaches tolerance. It heals wounds. It builds bridges.
I'm sorry. I'm sorry that we're still too fucked up as a race to let consenting adults be happy in the arms of other consenting adults without imposing archaic limitations. There's good reason for hope though - the next generation is coming. A generation that has grown up seeing non-traditional relationships for what they really are - not a threat, not a sin, not a perversion - but an expression of love. Our parents were more accepting than theirs, and we're more accepting that they are. Our children will be more accepting still. I say we keep doing the hard work so that our children can sit back and reap the benefits.
No comments:
Post a Comment